Interwiki links missing

If you are having problems with GuMax, post here.
daFish
Rank 0
Rank 0

Interwiki links missing

Post by daFish »

Hey Paul,

you've done a great job with GuMax 3.3
I'm currently testing this skin out for a new wiki I've been setting up for the last few days and I noticed that interwiki links are not being displayed in your skin while they are visible in MonoBook.

How can this be fixed?
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Re: Interwiki links missing

Post by Paul »

I don't think this is related to any skin.

Check this out: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Interwiki
daFish
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by daFish »

Paul wrote:I don't think this is related to any skin.

Check this out: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Interwiki
Thanks for your answer. I was referring to the section "Interwiki links to other languages" as I have setup my wikis so they can be linked just like Wikipedia.
So I think this can be done by changing the .php file for your skin, which can be done but I'd prefer this to be part of the skin made by you. Just to have it rounded. :)
raimondi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by raimondi »

hello,

new to the site, and mediawiki entirely, actually.

i recently threw together a wiki for use in my place of work that is bilingual (english-japanese). after learning the basics and getting it set up how i wanted (exactly as described on the "Interwiki links to other languages" section of the below link, as dafish mentioned) i started dabbling with some skins and came across yours, which is my absolute favorite so far. very sharp. keep up the good work.

anyway, i ran into the same dilemma as dafish. namely, my interlanguage links (which display and function perfectly in monobook), are not being displayed in the default setup for gumax.

this is the last thing i can think of that i would really like to see implemented. i imagine i am going to tear into the skin files and see if i can't get it working, but if you are able to come up with a fix it would be greatly appreciated.

again, thanks for the beautiful skin!
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Paul »

I'm not sure what type of Interwiki links you are talking about ~~

I've tested on my both GuMax and GuMaxDD skin, they seem working ... :?

Check this out:

http://paulgu.com/wiki/Sandbox-others

and

http://sandbox.paulgu.com/index.php?title=Projects
raimondi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by raimondi »

hey paul,

thanks for the quick reply. sorry, i realized after the fact that i should have thrown some screenshots or links in to illustrate my point.

i see that the standard interwiki links are running on your skin no problem. but, the interlanguage interwiki links i was referring to are the type that appear on the sidebar when implemented. from what i have read, and witnessed, they only appear when an interlanguage link is placed within the page, otherwise the "languages" section remains invisible.

to use the classic example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plankton

at the bottom of the sidebar (beneath tools) is the "languages" section, which contains 50 interlanguage links, written into the page using the [[two-letter language code:page name]] format. the japanese, for example, being [[ja:プランクトン]], and being displayed in the sidebar as 日本語.

and, as i mentioned, a page without any interlanguage links in it would simply not display the "languages" section, such as:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arming_sword
(actually took a few minutes to find one :lol: )

on my wiki i have set the two letter language codes in the interwiki table, and using any default skin in the mediawiki package the interlanguage links work fine. unfortunately, in gumax i can't seem to get them to show up (tried vertical, horizontal, and drop-down).

any initial thoughts? thanks for your time.
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Paul »

Except my vertical menu skin, I didn't put language link due to the design, however it's a lot easy to put them according your needs, for example on top of the main menu would be a great place for professional website, am I right?

For more than 10 or 20 languages, I would suggest put a drop down list for these languages for my horizontal menu style ... :D
raimondi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by raimondi »

>>>for example on top of the main menu would be a great place for professional website, am I right?

i agree, that would be a great place for the links to go. i was also thinking about the possibility of putting country flag icons in place of the text format interlanguage links. at present, i don't think mediawiki supports image files in the sidebar, which i assume to mean i wouldn't be able to get them working in the gumax skin either, correct? (i.e. somewere on the top menu bar to the right of My Accounts)
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Paul »

Yes, you could do that, if you have strong PHP programming skills, this wouldn't be hard to do ... :D
daFish
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by daFish »

For the vertical skins like GuMaxV (which is very beautiful) you can do it yourself by adding the following code right before the end of the navigation list:

Find:

Code: Select all

</div>
    <!-- end of Navigation Menu -->
Add after:

Code: Select all

<!-- Languages -->
        <?php if($this->data['language_urls']) { ?>
        <div id="gumax-p-navigation-wrapper">
                <div class='gumax-portlet' id='p-navigation'>
                        <h5><?php echo $this->msg('otherlanguages'); ?></h5>
                        <div id="gumax-p-navigation">
                                <ul>
                                        <?php for($i=0; $i<count($this->data['language_urls']); $i++) { ?>
                                        <li><a href="<?php echo $this->data['language_urls'][$i]['href']; ?>">
                                                <?php echo $this->data['language_urls'][$i]['text']; ?></li>
                                        <?php } ?>
                                </ul>
                        </div>
                </div>
        </div>
        <br />
        <?php } ?>
        <!-- end of Languages -->
This will add the interwiki list, if links are available. Otherwise, the list isn't displayed at all.