How to I add my own headings in navigation?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in GuMax skin.
doug
Rank 0
Rank 0

How to I add my own headings in navigation?

Post by doug »

Hi, excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question but I've been looking around to find out how to create my own navigation structure (main navigation) at the top. Out if the box I have 'Community Portal', 'Random Pages' and the like and I want to add my own navigation headings like Pauls site has.

I thought this would be easy?

I noticed I can create my own names spaces in the FAQ but (assuming this is what I need to do) how do I get rid of (or rename) the default ones from the screen and have my own displayed?

On a releated topic how would I put back some of the standard wiki items that are not in this skin like 'printable version' thats normally in the 'toolbox' area?

BTW this skin is excellent - I've always hated the look of a wiki but this skin actually makes a wiki site look as good as other high end sites.

doug
doug
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: How to I add my own headings in navigation?

Post by doug »

Ok to answer a part of my own question and perhaps clarify what I am asking a bit if you search special pages using the search string Special:Allmessages you actually get a list of editable attributes and for example I could change the title to something else for that item.

There wasn't an area to add items so I suspect there is a lot of digging around in the wiki docs to work out how to add your own sections. As a html/css/php etc based developer this whole wiki architecture is rather strange to be - they seem to have a massive amount of meta data above the standard technolgies I'm used to working with.

doug
vonedaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vonedaddy »

Hey Doug, I am looking for answers also, so if you find out how to edit these nav links please let me know. :)
vonedaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vonedaddy »

OK, here goes...

Type mediawiki:sidebar into your search (on your wiki) and edit the file... Living large! :)
wwalsh
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wwalsh »

I'm a new user here, and am having the same issue. i want to modify the:

Navigation
* Main Page
* Community portal
* Current events
* Recent changes
* Random page
* Help
* Donations

bar to have different headings. But I cannot edit the page found using the search suggested. Where can I find more specific help to do this please?
wwalsh
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wwalsh »

I found a solution to allow myself to edit the mediawiki:sidebar page. I included the following in my LocalSettings.php and then removed them after I made the changed I wanted:

$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['editinterface'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['user']['editinterface'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['user']['block'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['user']['protect'] = true;

For more on these matters, see:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual%3A ... ermissions
Henry
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Henry »

I don't think that was necessary - if you logged in as a sysop you should have been able to edit the navigation links without changing that code.
gmack
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gmack »

Henry wrote:I don't think that was necessary - if you logged in as a sysop you should have been able to edit the navigation links without changing that code.
That works for me...
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Paul »

If you type MediaWiki:Sidebar in search, it will allow you to change the menu items to whatever you want it to be, for example "Mediawiki Extensions|Extensions" to indicate the page name and display name, it can be different. :roll:
joopgoudvis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by joopgoudvis »

How do I add a seccond sidebar on the left? with my own links and names. Just under the other sidebar ?