Install...

If you are having problems with GuMax, post here.
Lakes
Rank 2
Rank 2

Install...

Post by Lakes »

I am sorry this is so basic but...

I just read MediaWiki book by O'Reilly (maybe understood half of it), installed MediaWiki (version 1.13.2.. and had it running!) then downloaded GuMax 3.4.1. Put it in the scripts folder then went and changed the LocalSettings.php ($wgDefaultSkin = 'gumax';). And this is all I end up with on the main page:

Fatal error: Only variables can be passed by reference in /home/lakes/home/lakes/htdocs/domains/niftytricks.com/www/html/w/skins/GuMax.php on line 142

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated. Just getting my feet wet and hoping not to drown learning this stuff. Sweet looking skin though so 'Props' in advance.

-Lakes
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Re: Install...

Post by Paul »

Did you have all the files and folders copied into skins folder?
Lakes
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lakes »

Paul,
Thanks for your quick reply. The GuMax.php and the GuMax.deps.php were put in the skins folder along with the gumax folder.

After downloading the file from your site, I expanded it then tooks its contents (the two files and the folder) and copied them into the skins folder on my server.

So, yes, all the files and folders that I download (except the folder it came in) where put in the skins folder.

...Was the correct way to do it?
Thanks again for the help!
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Paul »

Yes, your installation is correct. The problem is from the version of php of your hosting company, so you get this error. Open file GuMax.php and remove line 142:

Code: Select all

<?php $lastkey = end(array_keys($this->data['personal_urls'])) ?>
Lakes
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lakes »

Easy enough... So what does that do?

<<Removed <?php $lastkey = end(array_keys($this->data['personal_urls'])) ?> >>

Now I am getting most of the template but another fatal error:

Fatal error: Only variables can be passed by reference in /home/lakes/home/lakes/htdocs/domains/niftytricks.com/www/html/w/skins/GuMax.php on line 223

So I took out that line too (<?php $lastkey = end(array_keys($this->data['content_actions']))
?>) and then found another similar line on 263. After removing that one too it looks like things are golden.

Would it be better to put those lines back in and change what version of PHP I use on my account?

Thanks a ton!! Super appreciate the support and the download!!
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Paul »

Remove that line as well. These lines are used by previous version and reserved just in case I need it. They are for inserting character between menu items.

If you you can upgrade your PHP, that will be best solution. Let me know.