The Skinning Process?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in GuMax skin.
xthoth
Rank 0
Rank 0

The Skinning Process?

Post by xthoth »

Hello all-

I've got some experience creating static CSS-based sites with Dreamweaver, and now am trying to skin a MediaWiki. My question is - what is your development process?

Do you just manually edit the various .css files and then reload the site in your browser to see changes? I've found the info about Firefox's extension to allow css code to be edited and shown on the fly, but it still seems pretty archaic.

I'm used to Dreamweaver's visual feedback during editing of both the css as well as the page content (divs, text, images, etc), and wondering if there is a way to mimic this. Like recreating a static version of the wiki's main page with the proper divs/content and linking them to the css files for my own skin in order to allow visual editing? I feel like I'm missing something really obvious that I should be using in the editing process.

Thanks for any help or pointers on more info about MediaWiki skinning!
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Re: The Skinning Process?

Post by Paul »

I don't use Dreamweaver, since this is PHP developing and html content will be generated dynamically, you don't know the result unless you load it to the server, right?