Permanent Edit Link

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in GuMax skin.
eddron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Permanent Edit Link

Post by eddron »

Hi.

Does anybody know how to make the "Edit" link visible to all visitors (logged in or not) - unless it's a protected page. However, I only want registered visitors to have the ability to edit or add content. After a non-registered visitor hits the "edit" link, the person would be taken to the login page.

I want to do this so that people realize that it's possible to edit the content. Right now it looks like a static site.

Also, does anybody know how to move the "edit" link to the top of the content section (top of the page)? I'm using version 3.2.1 (which rocks!).

Thank you!

Ed
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Re: Permanent Edit Link

Post by Paul »

For the "Edit" only by registered users, you could do it through an extension :D .
eddron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by eddron »

Hi Paul.

I'm looking for a way to tell people that they have the option to edit it. I'd like to keep the rules the same (only logged in users get to edit); however, I want everybody to realize that it's an option.

Basically I'm hoping to find a way that the edit link is always present (logged in or not). Right now you only see the edit link when the user is logged in.

I want people to know that this is an interactive site.

Once a new visitor hits the edit link, I'd like them to get a message saying that they need to log in first.

Is this even possible?

Thank you.

Ed
http://www.whamwiki.com
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Paul »

This is not related to my skin. It's the settings in LocalSettings.php, please refer to mediawiki for more details.
eddron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by eddron »

Sorry Paul. I wasn't sure if it was a skin thing or not (new to the wiki thing). I've tried asking that question on another site, but it didn't get very far.
http://www.mwusers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5837
Someone said I would need an extension.

Because wikis depend on user content, I want to make sure that there is a very visible edit button that everybody can see - even those people without edit privileges (so they can register and get the privilege). :-)

I love the way http://www.aboutus.org/Category:Bottles has that big "edit" button. :-)

Ed
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Paul »

That is a good idea. I will look into in and test it on my wiki to see if I can do that, please check it back my wiki for further updates.

Thanks for the comments. :lol: