GuMaxDD custom banner images for Categories

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to GuMax.
nonegiven
Rank 2
Rank 2

GuMaxDD custom banner images for Categories

Post by nonegiven »

I am using latest release GuMaxDD 1.1 and Mediawiki 1.15 ...

Just a suggestion, I have not read it elsewhere yet.

• Would it be possible to set the 'custom banner images' under the navigation bar to be triggered by Mediawiki:Categories AS WELL AS pages, as at present?

At present you have a neat system that triggers a page by checking image against page names (I have not had a look at this but have to think this must be quite easy to do) the suggestion is ...

• Would it be possible to have that triggered by the page's category name and/or instead?

What I am thinking about here are two potentials,
  • one) to have category images which help user's visual navigation, and
    two) a rudimentary 'banner add' type application where a site owner could allow chosen users to have a controlled banner ad above their page.

Of course, the last option could either be a paid for service or out of courtesy and good design.
The only last addition, to make this perfect, would be an extension that allowed user to auto-upload their own custom banners for either type of use.

(I am developing a NPO directory website, this could all be very useful for us and I really like the actions and designs of the skin).
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Re: GuMaxDD custom banner images for Categories

Post by Paul »

If you want more for banner image, I rather go with extension instead of put in the skin, since this will your skin too heavy to maintain, skin is just presentation, should not contain functionality stuff.

I would not put that in the skin.
nonegiven
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nonegiven »

I was thinking that a Category image could be a simple, light graphic that let people know ... now they were in the, say, Travel section ... or Food section ... or Tokyo section.

It could easily be a few k big.

The question really is, if it is triggered by Pages, how to trigger it by Categories. I guess I might be able to see that in the code.
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Paul »

Good question as I thought, how do you identify the category of the each page? Does every page have a category?

If this is solved, then it's simple to make the banner.
nonegiven
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nonegiven »

Paul wrote:Good question as I thought, how do you identify the category of the each page? Does every page have a category?
Well, its a Wiki (Mediawiki) so one would use the normal [[Category:example]] markup.

e.g. [[Category:Cafes]] [[Category:Rome]] [[Category:Ice cream]]

No, not every page would have a category, a few might have more than one (which might cause a problem).

The application I was thinking of is in a more managed environment, e.g. a not-for-profit using a wiki for a knowledgebase, where specific categories might trigger specific lightweight banners.

e.g. [[Category:Administration]] [[Category:Accounts]] [[Category:Donors]]

Ultimately, I suppose a simple extension COULD chose custom headers. It would just be a nice design element to be able to make. But if one only has to manage half a dozen banners, then your template makes it possible for non-techies to do so without hackery, e.g. by giving them a simple custom category to use [[Category:banner1 ]] [[Category:banner2]].

(The other application was, say, a guide to retailers where a designer could offer a special deal to anyone having a topic page, e.g. for $10 they could have a customise banner at the top of their topic page simply but uploading a page_example.jpg image.)

Personally, I was look at non-commercial applications. To be honest, your templates are about the only thing holding my interest in Mediawiki software right now. I don't know about you but I am pretty exhausted by its normal user unfriendliness or geeky clunkiness and I am starting to look around at other options such as Foswiki.

And all of the abuses, and biases, on the Wikipedia itself do not make me feel any better about its product. Sorry to vent that.
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Paul »

Yep, you should look other wiki or CMS that meets your needs... :)
rc2429
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rc2429 »

Good information
Thanks
RC
eiridankillem
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eiridankillem »

thanks for give us nice idea.thanks for this.