Versioning and Customization

If you are having problems with GuMax, post here.
Blob
Rank 0
Rank 0

Versioning and Customization

Post by Blob »

Hi.

I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

If using these extensions and skins, what would be required to upgrade to a new version of MediaWiki when a new version of MediaWiki comes out?

If Paul were to stop working on these extensions and skins, and new versions of MediaWiki were to continue coming out, would a site that uses this stuff still work?

Is it possible to customize without modifying source? For example if I want to change colors and sizing, is there a way to do that so that when a new version of MediaWiki or GuMax comes out, I do not have to do anything special in the install process?

When new versions of your extensions, skins, or MediaWiki come out, I want to be able to update to them without having to manually change things at my site. And I especially do not want to find, a year or three from now, that all of a sudden my site is in a state where, if I upgrade to the latest MediaWiki version and/or GuMax extensions and skins, that my site will stop working and require modifications to each page.
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Re: Versioning and Customization

Post by Paul »

Well, it seems a lot of question here, due to so much technical details, here is the brief answer...

Installing skin is on mediawwiki is pretty standard, it doesn't matter new version or old version.

Customization on color and color does NOT need to modify source code.

The GuMax is working on future mediawiki, it depends on mediawiki development path, it could work for ever if wiki doesn't change the core skin template; otherwise the skin might has issue on new mediawiki. So the answer is yes or no. This is same issue for wordpress, joomla... etc.

Skin does modify any content if you know what the skin means.
Blob
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Versioning and Customization

Post by Blob »

Thanks.

Does installing and running GuMax and the media extensions modify the installed WikiMedia source? Or is your stuff added on in a completely separate area?