Issue with CSS MenuSidebar Extension

If you are having problems with GuMax, post here.
georgesmart1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Issue with CSS MenuSidebar Extension

Post by georgesmart1 »

Hello Paul & All.

Firstly thank you for some excellent skins. I've just installed and set up the CSS MenuSidebar Extension on MW1.18.2. Everything works great on the standard themes, Vector, Monobook etc. However, on your GuMax theme, the popup menus are drawn under the main page content.

I really don't know much about CSS so this is an appeal for help in fixing this issue. I have looked into it as much as possible and cannot find the problem. The z-index parameters seem to be set correctly (Firefox Web Developer addon shows the menus rendered on top) but then doesn't actually do it.

Some images:
The GuMax skin (what happens):

The Vector skin (what I would like to happen):

I hope it is evident what I am trying to explain. With the top URL, the menu is lost under the page content. With the bottom URL, the menu is displayed above the page content, as would be expected.

There are several mentions of this error on the extension's Talk page, and I have implimented all of the suggestions; the extension works with any other skin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to have revert to the boring Vector theme!

Many thanks in advance

George Smart, M1GEO.
Last edited by georgesmart1 on April 18th, 2012, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Re: Issue with CSS MenuSidebar Extension

Post by Paul »

I would check z-index again for both extension and wiki content....
georgesmart1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by georgesmart1 »

I looked through all of the Z-index stuff again tonight and cannot see any issues. All of your z-indexes seem fine and in accordance with the standard skins. However, the standard skins work, and the GuMax skin does not :(

I hope you're able to offer some more advice. An idea where to start looking would be very helpful. The monobook skin you state as the basis for your skins works perfectly. If I could get this functionality with your skin, that would be amazing! It's not just me who'd be interested in that!

Just added confirmation that the system is working with the Monobook skin, too.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. A pointer on where to get started, for example, would be great. Just for the record, the extension I'm working with is the 'standard' http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CSS_MenuSidebar extension.

Kind Regards

George Smart,
M1GEO
georgesmart1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by georgesmart1 »

For anyone else interested, I have SOLVED this issue. It involves one simple line change inside gumax_template.css.

Inside the .gumax-portlet-sidebar structure, find the line "overflow: hidden;" and change it to "overflow: visible !important;" This allows content in the navigation pane to overflow onto the content pane. I commented out the original line with /* and */, then added the new line in.

I hope this helps someone else...

Kind Regards.
George Smart.
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Paul »

Great catch, thanks for feedback :)
spetar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by spetar »

georgesmart1 wrote:For anyone else interested, I have SOLVED this issue. It involves one simple line change inside gumax_template.css.

Inside the .gumax-portlet-sidebar structure, find the line "overflow: hidden;" and change it to "overflow: visible !important;" This allows content in the navigation pane to overflow onto the content pane. I commented out the original line with /* and */, then added the new line in.

I hope this helps someone else...

Kind Regards.
George Smart.
Inside change is not so much easy like this. Last time when i did that i was almost wrong.