Fixed backgrounds

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in GuMax skin.
contrafibul
Rank 0
Rank 0

Fixed backgrounds

Post by contrafibul »

First of all, let me say how thrilled I am at finally discovering a skin that comes close to my own preferences. It looks wonderful, so thanks for all the hard work! I'm using the latest version of GuMaxDD (1.3).

I ran into a slight problem. In gumax_template.css, I tried to 'freeze' the background image in the following manner:
body {
background: white url('someimage.jpg') 0 0 no-repeat;
background-attachment:fixed;
}
i.e. as advised elsewhere on this forum. However, the image refuses to remain in place as you scroll down. It did work on another skin I've been using previously (a modified variant of monobook), so any idea what could be wrong here?
contrafibul
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Fixed backgrounds

Post by contrafibul »

Hi again, I just discovered where things got wrong. In attempting a number of possible solutions, I had created Mediawiki:Gumaxdd.css and tried it from there, without any result, so I reverted to manipulating gumax_template.css directly. However, the last settings I tried on the Mediawiki page were remembered after all and superseded anything I changed in the css file, including changing to "background-attachment:fixed".

Other suggestions I read on this board told of modifying the gumax_template.css directly, but would it not be safer to alter the Mediawiki page, especially if you want to incorporate any future upgrades?
contrafibul
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by contrafibul »

Coming back to the topic of fixed backgrounds, I'm afraid that the result is not optimal either. In Firefox, when you scroll down the page, the screen displays some erratic behaviour, which seems to be lagging rather than making a fluid movement. Removing 'background-attachment:fixed' appears to solve the problem. In Opera, on the other hand, everything works fine. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Paul »

It's better off the fixed backgrounds from my previous experience, it has some problems and it's lagging too... if you still want to the fixed backgrounds, I can take a look....