Cannot get Google AdSense to work

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in GuMax skin.
ned4spd8874
Rank 0
Rank 0

Cannot get Google AdSense to work

Post by ned4spd8874 »

Hello, I am new to MediaWiki and am still struggling with a few things. The main thing I am trying to do right now is add Google AdSense ads to my page. I have installed the extension, but it doesn't seem to be working. The one thing that confused me was the "unitid" part. I guess I just don't understand it.

I only want one ad on my page. It's a verticle skyscraper type ad. I put in the id, but the ad still doesn't show. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Can someone please help me?

Code: Select all

$ADSENSE_UNITS = array(
	// Text and image ads - 728x90
	'C01' => array('unitID' => 'xxx', 'width' => '728', 'height' => '90', 'position' => 'none'),
	'C02' => array('unitID' => 'xxx', 'width' => '728', 'height' => '90', 'position' => 'none'),
	'C03' => array('unitID' => 'xxx', 'width' => '728', 'height' => '90', 'position' => 'none'),
	// Text ads - 728x90
	'C04' => array('unitID' => 'xxx', 'width' => '728', 'height' => '90', 'position' => 'none'),
	// Ad links - 728x90
	'C05' => array('unitID' => 'xxx', 'width' => '728', 'height' => '90', 'position' => 'none'),
	// Text and image ads - 234x60
	'C06' => array('unitID' => 'xxx', 'width' => '234', 'height' => '60', 'position' => 'none'),
	// Text and image ads - 120x600
	'C07' => array('unitID' => 'WATC', 'width' => '120', 'height' => '600', 'position' => 'none'),
	// Search your domain - 400x29
	'S01' => array('unitID' => 'xxx', 'width' => '400', 'height' => '29', 'position' => 'none'),
	// Search web - 400x29
	'S02' => array('unitID' => 'xxx', 'width' => '400', 'height' => '29', 'position' => 'none'),
	// Video Unit - Auto - 488x485
	'V01' => array('unitID' => 'xxx', 'width' => '488', 'height' => '485', 'position' => 'none'),
	// Video Unit - Entertainment - 488x485
	'V02' => array('unitID' => 'xxx', 'width' => '488', 'height' => '485', 'position' => 'none'),
	// Video Unit - Sports - 488x485
	'V03' => array('unitID' => 'xxx', 'width' => '488', 'height' => '485', 'position' => 'none'),
);
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Re: Cannot get Google AdSense to work

Post by Paul »

You need to setup Unit ID in Google fist, how? Go to google to check it out how it works.
ned4spd8874
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ned4spd8874 »

Paul wrote:You need to setup Unit ID in Google fist, how? Go to google to check it out how it works.
I already did. I don't think I quite understand where to put it in the file.
mgudelis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mgudelis »

Hi, I'm also having the same problem/challenge, is there any guide with regard to this we can read? Thanks
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Paul »

OK, then in your Google Adsense screen, you should be able to find your Publisher ID.

The Unit ID is the ID if you create a Ads unit, please see my instruction at page http://paulgu.com/wiki/Google_AdSense, release "xxx" with your unit ID, use the right size according to your ads unit, you can remove other item in the array that you don't need.

If you only have one unit id, then it will like:

Code: Select all

$ADSENSE_UNITS = array(
   'C01' => array('unitID' => '123456', 'width' => '728', 'height' => '90', 'position' => 'none')
);
editor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by editor »

Have added the id to the adsense unit and it shows up blank in firefox and web page not found in IE. If I leave the unitID blank in the .php I then get an advert showing.

I have been using google adverts for some time and the old adverts used to have the ID in the code so it was simple to change, but now this is replaced by a google_ad_slot code. You can find the IDunit in the manage channels page on google ads.
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Paul »

The google_ad_slot id is the Unit ID that you need to add in the $ADSENSE_UNITS array, the id will be automatically populated in the google_ad_slot id on the page.
AAadvisor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AAadvisor »

Hello
I am also having problems with the adsense extension.

I have checked the intructions numerous times but no ads are displaying on my site. I have used adsense before successfully on other sites so must be something I am doing wrong.

I have included the code below:

$ADSENSE_UNITS = array(
'C01' => array('unitID' => '0404134656', 'width' => '728', 'height' => '90', 'position' => 'none'),
);

Does the 'position' need to be defined?

I also wondered if the below code should have anything between the inverted commas such as the ID?

$ADSENSE_UNIT =''; // initialize

i am also not receiving any error messages and the site runs as normal but without any sign of adsense. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Paul »

The unitID needs to be your Ads unit id, width and height need to match your ads, leave position as default...

Then go to your wiki and activate it....
AAadvisor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AAadvisor »

Thanks for your quick response. I believe i have included the correct unit Id (as in the example in my post). The width and height also matches the ad.
However when you say go to the wiki and activate it what do you mean?

Does this involve adding further code to one of the other php files?

I have already added the code to the localsettings.php file:
(include_once('extensions/GoogleAdSense/GoogleAdSense.php');)

This may be where I am going wrong.

Thanks again.