Making international (multi-lingual) GuMaxDD navigation bar?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in GuMax skin.
nonegiven
Rank 2
Rank 2

Making international (multi-lingual) GuMaxDD navigation bar?

Post by nonegiven »

This partly relates to Single click Navigation bar items + moving content-actions and *might* relate to a bug.

Making Navigation Bar items multi-lingual or international

How make GuMaxDD template multi-language? I am finding that I am getting stuck with English navigation items.

• For some reason, the template disables language translation of the navigation items ... even though it forwards to the correct translated page.

If I change to a different language, most it remains English, some items will refresh but usually I have to refresh the page twice in order that they do so, i.e. change language (causes a refresh), then refresh again.

In MediaWiki:Sidebar one can add custom items which in GuMaxDD appear as horizontal navigational links with very attractive drop down menus. All very nice but one question arises.

If I add such customs items, where in Mediawiki can I add internalization versions that will show up automatically?

In /Languages/Messages/Messagesen.php, all the messages are kept according to language and a default set of 'sidebar' items.

• This is the default set and you can change it to your custom set but other languages do not have the same 'sidebar' list.
• If I add a translated item to the 'messages' array, it does not appear as the new language in the navigation bar.

I suspect that if the 'feature' to make the single item was disabled, then it would be possible to do so and therefore add multi-language translations. Is there a way to try?

Has anyone manage to fully internationalize the navigation bar adding new custom items?

Thank you.
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Re: Making international (multi-lingual) GuMaxDD navigation bar?

Post by Paul »

I think the international items only work when it's built-in in the mediawiki, any customization item cannot if I'm correct. So this seems not related to skin, any skin will not do the translation automatically.

If you go to wikipedia, the multi-language works in different way, they under it's sub domain name...
nonegiven
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nonegiven »

Paul wrote:If you go to wikipedia, the multi-language works in different way, they under it's sub domain name...
Yes, my guess is they use entirely separate installs of Mediawiki and databases. Looking at, say, the Japanese Wiki (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/) all the navigation items are in Japanese.

• Also Translatewiki - http://translatewiki.net/ - gets it right, so it must be doable.

Unfortunately, without doing a clean install, I cannot tell now. It is quite and easy enough to add languageselector extension to a default installation.
  • Single menu items which SHOULD translate do NOT.

Drop down items which SHOULD translate DO translate.
Customized items, of course, do not ... I will have a look at it and let you know. It might be possible to add them to the language file. I just cannot work out the changes you have been made to single items yet.

May be the old version would work ....

Thanks.
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Paul »

Yep, do a comparison with the old version, you will find out.
nonegiven
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nonegiven »

If I work it out, I will let you guys know.

Its a shame but in this world it rare we get everything we want or need. Your templates are very good looking but, right now, multi-language support is more important for me.

The way the single (top) items work, you cannot put a piped redirect on them because the pipe and redirect show up, e.g.

* Main page|Home

become Main page|Home

You can do so on drop down items. I cannot understand that.
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Paul »

Please do don't put pipe in the main item, since it's from mediawiki as the menu title, just a lable.

I don't understand why you need pipe for the Main Page|Home, simply just change your home page as Home in MediaWiki:Mainpage, then put Home in the menu will work.