GuMaxDD and Languageselector extension

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in GuMax skin.
nonegiven
Rank 2
Rank 2

GuMaxDD and Languageselector extension

Post by nonegiven »

Hi.

very nice templates ... very clean and tight whilst remaining warm and friendly. They open up a new world of possibilities for applications of Mediawiki software. So, congratulations!

I had a question, I am very interested in develop multilingual websites. I see the lack of multilingual support as one of the big weaknesses in most Open Source/CMS/Blogging platforms. Its not that they cannot be made to do so technically, and with a little hacking, but really in 2009 any world class software application - least of all one meant for communicating - SHOULD support multi-languages by default.

Language selector

I am trying to get GuMaxDD to play nice with the extension, Languageselector, here. Mostly it CAN work. I have notice one bug that may be its rather than yours ... in that whilst it DOES refresh Mediaiki's language, it DOES NOT refresh the actual language listed in the Portlet ... which in your skin is the navigation bar.

Languageselector uses MonoBookTemplateToolboxEnd, which I see mentioned elsewhere.

I am trying to position the Languageselector directly under the Search Box in the GuMaxDD skin's header but cannot work out how to do that.

• Would you have any clues on 'how to'?

Thanks and keep up the good work.
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Re: GuMaxDD and Languageselector extension

Post by Paul »

Well, in the skin php file, you need to put the language section (there is a function for language) under the search box, then apply the CSS style, it should work. :D
nonegiven
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nonegiven »

OK ... it may be a lot easier than that.

To move the dropdown Languageselector bar, I think what you need to do is stick:
  • <?php echo wfLanguageSelectorHTML(); ?>
wherever you want it in GuMaxDD.php

You also need to add:
  • $wgLanguageSelectorLocation = LANGUAGE_SELECTOR_MANUAL;
to Localsettings.php

Then, as you say, fight the gumax_template.css to move it around by making a new class to do so.

This works but I could not work out how to add a text introduction, e.g. Languages: before it ... least of all a multi-language enables text introduction. So, what I did was wrote some text only links as I only need 4 languages.
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Paul »

Never play with language section, not sure if it has text in front of it...