Implementing a two level sidebar

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things with my MediaWiki Extensions.
jcrigler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Implementing a two level sidebar

Post by jcrigler »

I would like to implement a 2 level hierarchy in the sidebar/menubar in the gumax skin. This would work similar to many menus you see on the web where when you mouse over a 1st level menu choice, you get a drop down list of sub-menu choices.

I have studied a little bit about how the sidebar works.... ie it's an editable special:page. What I would like to do is add sub-bullets on that page and have them appear in a drop down list if the user mouses over one of the 1st level choices. So if, you moused over the "Help" menu item a drop down would highlight things like "Navigation, creating new pages, editing pages, etc...."

So I have two questions for all of you, First, have any of you any of you done this and are you willing to share? and; Second, I am at a loss on how to do this within the editable wiki framework. I think it would require a PHP extension I am not sure I have the skills to write (but, by the way, I would be more than happy to pay someone else to write!!!... and share it with all of you!!!) So any tips here?

Jeff
Paul
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Re: Implementing a two level sidebar

Post by Paul »

Yes, you could achieve this by using javascripts or php. This needs a little bit work. You don't have to use extension, just modify the skin file.